I’m probably going to change some of these videos (especially the earlier ones), but here is my list of videos for Intro Physics I.
Chapter 1: Kinematics
- Position and Average Velocity in 1D
- Example: When do 2 trains meet?
- Introduction to numerical calculations – solving motion by breaking it into many tiny pieces.
- Acceleration in 1D
- Example – constant acceleration in 1D with numerical calculation
- Example – when does an accelerating police car catch a speeder?
Chapter 2: Forces and Motion in 1D
- Nature of Force and Motion (Newton’s 2nd Law and the Momentum Principle)
- Falling objects (gravity)
- Modeling the motion of a mass oscillating on a spring
Chapter 3: Motion in 2D and 3D
- Introduction to vectors
- Kinematic Equations in 2D (and 3D)
- Example – 2D flying bird position
- Introduction to projectile motion
- Projectile range for object shot off a cliff
- Numerical calculation for projectile motion
- Acceleration of a frictionless block on an inclined plane
- Example – Flying R2 D2
- Speed vs. Velocity
Chapter 4: Calculated Forces
- Universal Gravitational Force
- Example – calculating the gravitational force on Apollo 13 spacecraft
- Introduction to visual objects in python
- Modeling the motion of an object near the Earth
- Modeling the Earth-moon system
- Visual model of the mass-spring system
- How far does something have to fall to reach terminal velocity?
Chapter 5: Constraint Forces
- What is the normal force?
- Static and kinetic friction forces
- Example – finding the coefficient of friction and force to pull a block
- What is the best angle to pull a block with friction?
- Finding the angle that a block slides on a plane
- The difference in acceleration for a sliding block up and down a plane
- Using the difference in acceleration up and down a plane to find the coefficient of friction
- Acceleration for an Atwood Machine
- Acceleration for a half-Atwood Machine
- Forces of constraint vs. Calculated Forces
Chapter 6: Circular Motion
- Derivation of the acceleration of an object moving in a circle
- Ball moving in a horizontal circle
- How fast can a car drive on a flat turn with friction?
- What is the optimal speed for a car on a banked curve (no friction)?
- How fast can you drive on a banked curve WITH friction?
- Varying parameters for a car on a banked curve (with python)
- Introduction to rotational kinematics
- Calculating the velocity for a circular orbit
- Modeling circular orbits with python – also geostationary orbits
- Example – Squirrel on a spinning bird feeder
Chapter 7: Work-Energy
- Introduction to the Work-Energy Principle
- Calculating work on an object
- Introduction to the gravitational potential energy
- Demonstration – the work done by the gravitational force doesn’t depend on path
- Example – Calculating the impact force for Iron Man crashing in the sand.
- Work done by a spring and the spring potential energy
- Path independence of the work done by a spring
- Finding the tension at the bottom of a swing
- Universal gravitational potential energy
- Escape velocity
- How much energy does it take to get into low Earth orbit
- You can’t calculate the work done by friction
Chapter 8: Collisions
- Conservation of momentum in a collision
- Inelastic collisions in 1D
- Inelastic collisions in 2D
- Inelastic collisions in 2D – calculator with python
- Elastic collisions in 1D
- Modeling 2D collisions with python
- Ballistic pendulum
- Two cars crashing head on vs. twice the speed crashing into a wall
- Modeling inelastic collisions in python
Chapter 9: Torque and Equilibrium
- What is torque?
- Finding the center of gravity using torque
- Sometimes the center of mass and the center of gravity are different
- Example – forces on a diving board
- What is the minimum coefficient of friction to prevent a leaning ladder from slipping?
- Calculating the ladder problem with python
- How far can a penguin walk out on a plank?
- How does the tension change as the penguin walks the plank? Python calculation.
- Torque as a vector
- The best torque demo – the Power Balance trick
Chapter 10: Angular Momentum
- What is angular momentum?
- Finding the rotational speed of a disk dropped on a spinning disk
- Angular momentum and kinetic energy for point mass vs. rigid object
- Angular momentum for a spinning ice skater
- Introduction to the Angular Momentum Principle
- Frictionless block vs. a rolling disk on an inclined plane – part 1 – using work-energy
- Frictionless block vs. a rolling disk on an inclined plane – part 2 – using forces
- How long does it take a pencil to tip over?