I think I need help. I’m not sure of the best way to proceed (or even to do it at all) with this new video project. Here is my idea:
- Just Enough Physics – the video. Yes, a long time ago I put most of my physics explanations into a self-pub ebook on Amazon. I think it turned out OK. The book is in the KindleUnlimited program, so you might be able to get it for free – https://www.amazon.com/Just-Enough-Physics-Rhett-Allain-ebook/dp/B0052UKTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=just+enough+physics&qid=1578932997&sr=8-1
- I’ve made a bunch of physics videos—but they aren’t well organized and they jump over to many different topics. I wanted to start over and make one series of videos that sort of go through the full intro (algebra-based) physics course.
- In most of my previous physics videos, I used a white board with me in front of it. I think this works well, but I wanted to be able to make videos from home. With that, I decided to switch to a paper and pen method (with the camera just looking at the paper).
- Also, I figured I would add a Patreon page. It would be nice to be able to work on this over the summer instead of teaching summer classes (which is always a financial gamble anyway). Oh, here is my Patreon page—https://www.patreon.com/justphysics
So, that’s the idea. Here you can check out what I have so far.
Now for the questions. Here’s where you can help.
- Should I start a NEW YouTube channel for these videos or just include them in my current channel. I’ll be honest—I thought it would be good to start a new channel, but I need a bunch of subscribers before I can put ads on the videos. Yes, that’s silly.
- I started off with an intro to each video and included a title animation. Forget that—too much work. I don’t think people REALLY care about that stuff.
- What about Patreon? What kinds of things should I put there? Should I include access to a discord group?
- Titles. How should I title each video? Chapter 1 section 1 kinematics? Constant velocity? I’m not sure. What about homework videos (example problems).
- I’m aiming for each video to be about 10 minutes long. Is that a good time length?
Finally, here is my tentative outline for videos.
- Kinematics in 1 Dimension (including numerical calculations).
- Forces and the Momentum Principle in 1D.
- Calculated Forces: gravity, springs, real gravity.
- Falling objects air resistance.
- Forces of Constraint: normal force, friction, tension
- 2D Motion: projectile motion, circular motion.
- Work-Energy Principle.
That’s just a start.